Data Policy & Privacy Statement
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND WHAT WE DO WITH IT
British Apples and Pears Ltd (the company) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. In legal terms we are ‘data controllers’ of individuals’ personal information and are subject to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the GDPR), which came into force on May 25th 2018.
The purpose of this privacy notice is to fulfil the company’s obligations under the GDPR with regard to providing you with information on how we may process your personal information, how we use it and what your rights are in relation to it.
The personal information we have
We hold some or all of the following types of personal information about individuals:
- Contact details (including e-mail address(es), telephone number(s) and postal address(es));
- Contact history (ie. notes on when and why we have contacted you in the past);
Unless you are an individual with whom we trade, we will not hold any financial information about you.
We may collect your personal information in a few limited ways, namely:
- Directly from you, when you contact us, attend an event, or subscribe to our newsletters or other publications or information sources
- Requested from you, eg. via social media
- Via a GDPR-compliant third party database
- We may also hold data when provided to us by a third party (eg. one of our clients) for a specific purpose, such as competition prize distribution, sample mailing, etc. These data will be used solely for this purpose and will be deleted as quickly as is practicable thereafter.
Our legal basis for using your personal information
We have a legitimate interest in properly running the company and in fulfilling our contractual obligations to our clients and our GDPR obligations to you. Accordingly, personal information collected and processed by us may be used for the following purposes:
- Communicating with you on matters which we believe are of legitimate interest to you or where you have given consent
- The other permissible reasons for using your data within the GDPR are contractual obligation, legal obligation, public interest and your own or others’ vital interests. While it is unlikely that we will need to use your data om these bases, we reserve the right so to do.
We will only send you communications which we believe to be of legitimate interest or which you have requested. These may include newsletters, media information, company and client information.
We do not sell your personal information to other organisations.
Where applicable, we will only share your personal information for the purposes of fulfilment, eg. with a mailing house or logistics company distributing communications on our behalf.
How long we keep your personal information for
We hold your information only as long as is necessary for each purpose we use it. If we are contacting you on as regular or ongoing basis your information will be held while that communication continues. This is subject to regular review and data will be deleted if regular communication has ceased. If we have your information for a once-only need, such as competition prize distribution, it will be deleted once that need has ended.
How we keep your personal information
We may keep your information in the following ways:
- On our secure, pass-word protected servers
- On the servers of GDPR-compliant third parties, eg. software/data management companies such as Constant Contact, Highrise, or Gorkana. Your data is never shared with other users of these resources.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
You have rights in relation to the personal information we have about you. You have the right to:
- request access to your information and to obtain information about how we process it;
- make a request to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and completed if it is incomplete;
- request that we erase your personal information;
- request that we restrict the processing of your information;
- receive from us the personal information we hold about you which you have provided to us, in a reasonable format specified by you
- and o object to us processing your personal information.
You can exercise all of these rights free of charge. Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply, for example, if we can show our processing is necessary for a lawful purpose set out in this privacy notice.
The company’s contact details for exercising these rights are set out below.
Contact and further information
If you have any queries about this privacy notice or how we process your personal information, or if you wish to exercise any of your rights under applicable law, you may contact the data controller:
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- by post: Data Controller, British Apples and Pears, BGA House, Nottingham Road, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 0WB
If you have concerns about the way we handle your personal information, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office or raise a complaint at www.ico.org.uk/concerns, or call its helpline on 0303 1113. You can find out more about your rights under applicable data protection legislation from the Information Commissioner’s Office website: www.ico.org.uk